Interview with Romain RIVIERE, a VATEL alumni bathed in Cognac
Enter the world of a Cognac wine-maker with Romain RIVIERE.
Romain Riviere who has just turned 38 years old graduated from Vatel Bordeaux in 1999. He has decided to share a piece of his professional life with us.
- Romain, would you please introduce yourself?
My name is Romain RIVIERE. I graduated from Vatel in 1999 and since then, i decided to run over my family business in the wine and Cognac industry. I am currently the manager and shareholder of a 15-hectare vineyard located in the Cognac region. I distil wine made from my grapes and sell the wine spirit to major Cognac firms such as Martell, Rémy Martin and Grand Marnier.
- What makes you satisfied about your job today?
In few words, i truly enjoy overseeing and controling the making of a product from beginning to end.
- How did your professional path drive you to attend such position?
I was motivated to begin with because it was a question of taking over a family estate, and also because I knew I could take advantage of a network of friends and acquaintances because I am based in a region where I grew up.
- As a professional, what advice would you give our students aiming at working in the wine & spirits industry?
As with every other business, you must take pride in a job well done. Having a good nose is important too, as is maintaining close contact with clients, especially hotels.
- How did your studies at Vatel help you manage your professional record?
The byword here is: management – management of human resources, stocks, and money. I learned all of these things at Vatel.
- What makes Vatel Bordeaux a pefect place to start a career in that industry?
It is an ideal location to learn how to taste and to receive complete practical training thanks to the presence of many world-famous professionals.
Thanks so much Romain for your testimonial and we expect to see you for the grand opening of our new campus dedicated to education in hospitality, tourism and of course, wine & spirits.